Inexpensive headphones don’t have to sound like they’re inexpensive right? They also don’t have to be boring to look at either. The Marvel Comics line of stereo headphones from Coloud are each priced under $4o. That’s pretty affordable when it comes to stereo sound. They each feature the look and feel of one of Marvel’s signature characters. Just because they’re priced right doesn’t mean they’re not worth a look though right?
Read on to find out.
The Marvel series of headphones is offered in several styles, each modeled after a different character. Currently you’ll find Captain America, Wolverine, X-Men, and the model I was sent to review, the Punisher, all represented. You can see the other models on the Coloud web site here. Each pair of headphones comes in a sturdy box which matches the design elements of the headphones inside.
If you’re not familiar with the Punisher, he first appeared on the pages of Marvel’s comics, specifically in The Amazing Spider-Man in 1974. After his family was murdered, Frank Castle assumed the role as the Punisher and proceeds to use whatever means necessary to reek havoc on the mob and other criminals. The skull logo was worn across his chest and has been brought to the headphones as well – one on each ear cup.
As far as specifications go the Coloud headphones feature 40mm power drivers, a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and a 1.2m cord. It’s a one size fits all model that claims to offer a tight fit and neutral sound. There’s nothing in the box other than the headphones themselves and warranty information. The Coloud Headphones come with a one-year warranty. At under $40 you shouldn’t expect studio quality sound but the Coloud headphones do deliver enough bass and treble for personal audio listening.
The cord on the headphones is coiled near the end which originates at the ear cup. This should help prevent it from becoming tangled while still offering enough length when stretched to reach your audio device no matter where you choose to store it. The 3.5mm is triangular in shape. Depending on whether on not you have a case on your mobile device you may run into some issues with fit. I tested the headphones with my iPhone 4 and was able to use them with about 75% of the cases in my personal collection. The remaining 25% required me to remove the case.
The inside of the headband on the headphones features the red Marvel logo centered near the top. There’s just enough padding inside that these remain comfortable even for longer listening sessions. The material feels almost wet-suit like. It’s made from rubber which keeps it soft yet durable as well.
The interior of the headband of the headphones also features the name of the Marvel character they represent – in this case the Punisher.
They are fully adjustable and can accommodate most any head size. I have a rather large head and although the headphones fit tightly they weren’t uncomfortable. I myself prefer a tight fitting headphone. Especially when I’m using headphones that don’t have active noise cancelation. The tighter the fit the more outside noise is blocked out. As long as they remain comfortable, which these do, I’m happy.
I also asked my 8 year daughter to try them on and as you can see from the photo below they also fit here quite nicely.
For under $40 the Marvel headphones by Coloud are what I like to a call a “value added gadget.” Not only do they offer decent sound but they bring the fun designs of some of Marvel’s cast of characters along with them. Because of their superb fit they do an admirable job of blocking out noise interference leaving you with good bass, decent mids and just enough treble. If you’re a fan of Marvel’s comics you’ll want to check out these fun stereo headphones.
PROS: Inexpensive, stylish, retro, forming fitting, one size fits all.
CONS: Mediocre sound.